Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Weekend of Classes

This weekend we had 14 hours of classes.  Talk about exhausting and overwhelming.  We did learn so much though.  I even signed up for additional classes.  I cannot believe how much we did not know or really ever think about.

Some interesting things from class...

Child birth class
- Natural birth is whack: They made us sit through videos of women giving birth without medication.  Torture.  I don't need to see that or hear the sounds they made.  I totally do not understand the no epidural thing.  I'd let them knock me out completely if I could.  (low pain tolerance)
- You have to get a catheter if you have an epidural:  That makes sense since you can't walk, but I hadn't ever thought about it.  That idea creeps me out.

Child Care Class
- Don't use baby powder anymore...the baby inhales it
- Babe doesn't need lotion either.  They need to learn to regulate moisture on their own.

Breast Feeding Class
- You have to feed your baby...like, a lot more than I thought. Apparently they lose weight after birth and the docs want them back to birth weight at two weeks old.  Which means, you have to feed them at least every three hours, even if they are sleeping, for the first two weeks.  AND if you want to breastfeed, you can't introduce a bottle yet.  Ummmm, what?  I will be her sole feeder 8-12 times a day?
-Breastfeeding is also whack...yes, it is a miracle and yes, I want to try, but it's still weird.  I could go on but I'll leave it at that.

Although I make it sound displeasing, we really did enjoy our classes.  I am definitely more overwhelmed now, but also more prepared.  Which is good because it's getting way close.  48 more days if she's on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS